Wednesday, April 19, 2023

After The Rain The Sun Always Shines

 Not gonna lie, the past month or so has been a little hard for me. As I mentioned in my last post I have been unemployed. ....to be frank, I have been unemployed more than I have been employed this year. The TV show that I had been working on shut down on multiple occasions and the most recent shut down has lasted 2 months. It just came at a very unfortunate time as all the union's contracts are set to expire so contract negotiations are happening and the studios have basically slowed down (or stopped) making any new content until these negotiations are settled, so the industry is very slow at the moment. Funnily enough, my show finally starts back up next week....just in time for the writers to go on strike. 🤣 (The WGA (Writers Guild) has until May 1st to settle a new contract with AMPTP (Producers) and if they do not settle on a new contract, the WGA has voted to go on strike which would shut the whole industry down until they come to terms.) 


And now that you are up on all the latests Hollywood news....back to me, haha. To be honest, for the past little while I have actually toyed with the idea of finding a job outside of the film industry. The hours sometimes on set make the thought of working even 12 hours a day a dream. But this time away from set and searching job board after job board looking for another career made me realize....what the heck else can I do? haha. It's HARD having a career change. And certainly takes work. Plus i'm lazy! And I will admit....while being a DGA member can be brutal sometimes (with hours and whatnot) you DO get paid for it so it's really a hard industry to look out of, especially comparing rates and such, haha. 


As i've been spending so much time on my computer looking for other work and job opportunities, all of my closest friends have been traveling around Japan. As many of you know, I love to travel and take pride in my country count. Back in the old days I would be finishing an international trip and planning my next one! Japan has always been near the top of my 'Countries to Visit Soon' list so the fact that I couldn't join them was just a bummer. And the worst part was, I actually had the time. I'm not working. But I guess that in and of itself is the problem. Can't pay for a trip if you don't have a job! I know this post is a lot about 'woe is me' but I found this website again and I said I would start updating more and, like I said I have the time so this is the only content I have at the moment. 


That being said, in my extra spare time i've had, I've really started to notice and enjoy the flowers that have started to bloom all around town. There are literally small flowers mixed in the grass, coming out of the bushes, they are everywhere! It honestly brings the 'April showers bring May flowers' to life. And i'd like to think that nature parallels life and I know my flowers will soon be in bloom. I'm not sure how much you know about weather in LA, but this season it has been RAINY. Like, rainy and cold like no other. So much of california has been in a drought for AGES and after the amount of rain we have seen, much of the state is finally out of their warnings. And you know what? The state has never been more beautiful. I've always said that LA looks its most beautiful after a rain. The brown hills for a moment turn green. The rain washes the smog away and we can breathe again. It really is when LA is at its finest. So here we are now after a season full of rain and now we get to be surrounded by flowers in bloom, green foothills, and the sight of snow still covering the mountains in the distance. 


Maybe these last few months have been a little rainy for me. The sun hasn't always shown and i've had to sit under the ominous clouds wondering what I could do when the sun wasn't out. And that's about all I could do really, just enjoy the rain as much as I can until the sun shines again. Like I said I finally start back on my show on Monday and at least i'll get a solid week's worth of work in, and that is much needed. Last year I never would have thought I would be so excited for a week of work, but life really runs in cycles doesn't it. The looming writers strike doesn't quite emote a sunny forecast ahead, but like they say - after the rain, the sun always shines. Maybe this rain will bring the biggest bloom yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Retroactive Reviews

Tonight I was on Youtube watching a show and when it ended, for some reason, on the home screen was my face.....from 2012. How did THAT get ...