Saturday, July 23, 2011

Friday July 22, 2011

What a day for a carnival. I swear it could have snowed today if it wanted to. It was raining practically all day…and it was fa-reeeezing. I was wearing a long-sleeve shirt, my north face hoodie and my north face jacket and I was still cold! …and i'm sure it didn't help that my socks/shoes were wet. I really need to invest in some rain boots. And might I also add that you could see your breath? Ok, just had to get that out there. So anyway, needless to say it was not busy. At all. I didn't do my first pick-up until 7:30! Then one more at 10:30 before close which is at 12. So, seeing as I had some free time I was finally able to use a good chunk of my itunes money! I shall share with everyone some of my purchases :) I bought a few songs from Erin McCarley (singer/songwriter with a hint of pop that has been featured on some tv shows I believe), a few Brandi Carlile, and then an album by a group (or singer?) called Crooked Still. I had never heard of this person (or band) until I was just searching around the singer/songwriter section of iTunes and I liked what I heard. It is actually pretty bluegrassy with a strong banjo and fiddle in pretty much every song, but I really quite enjoy that kind of music so, I decided to buy the whole album and it is pretty good! (The album is entitled "Some Strange Country" if you care to check it out.) I also bought a song from the ever great Tracy Chapman.

There is this great group of singer/songwriters from nashville that have formed this little group called 10 Out of Tenn. (10 singers out of Tennessee (Nashville)) I first discovered this group…well, i'm not exactly sure when, I think sometime last semester. But I had heard of and really liked already a few of the artists on the roster. (the 10 singer/songwriters can change from year to year) But anyway, they basically all tour around together and many times lend their voices and songs to each other for their albums and whatnot. It's pretty cool actually…and they are all great musicians and artists that are pretty well known in the Nashville independent/singer/songwriter scene (which I have come to really enjoy.) So anyway, I follow them on Twitter and I saw a tweet they sent out saying they were looking for an intern, so I went on the website and e-mailed their contact person and she e-mailed back and said thanks and to forward her the resume. So, I think that would be pretty cool if I was able to intern there! Especially seeing as the whole independent scene is really where i'm interested at the moment. (I am slowly realizing that maybe I wouldn't fit best into the big/corporate/well known country organizations. I would just prefer being with a smaller more independent and laid-back group…you know?) So, i'm thinking that maybe if I stuck around there for 2 semesters or something I would be able to make some good contacts and seeing as they are associated with 10 artists, there may be even a small chance it could lead to more job/touring opportunities.

Alright, I guess that can be all for tonight. i'm sure you are all music'ed out by now, haha. Here's to hoping that tomorrow is warmer, dryer, and busier! Until then…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Retroactive Reviews

Tonight I was on Youtube watching a show and when it ended, for some reason, on the home screen was my face.....from 2012. How did THAT get ...